Ortoo Productivity Hacks: Automate Your Troubleshooting Emails In Salesforce
For most organisations troubleshooting emails and customer requests should be an unequivocal priority. When a customer is not happy with their product or service the organisation usually has a set window of opportunity to put things right, otherwise they run the risk of severely damaging that particular relationship. With this in mind, reducing lag time & improving the efficiency of responding to troubleshooting problems is big business. Lots of firms are now looking to automate their troubleshooting processes and are finding new ways to automatically create helpdesk tickets.
Speeding Up The Troubleshooting Process
Understanding the main contributing principles of improving response times to troubleshooting emails is not particularly complex – however some organisations do fall down by not utilizing readily available technology. In most instances, if you want to improve the time it takes to respond to troubleshooting emails then you should focus on:
- Reducing Manual Creation – a lot of complaints and customer requests often enter the business through channels such as emails and web forms. To improve the speed of response, you should be looking to create internal tickets from troubleshooting emails automatically. As soon as a troubleshooting request lands, it should be immediately transported to the team or destination where it will be actioned – it shouldn’t be someone’s job to manually process those messages.
- Assign To The Best Matched Agent – similarly it’s not just important to distribute troubleshooting requests immediately but they should also go to someone in the business who can actually help. If a new customer request results in automatically creating a new helpdesk ticket, then it should sit with the team member whose skills are most suited to that task. This means items can be worked on straightaway and needn’t be re-routed.
- Making Use Of Available Data – within Salesforce there is often a treasure trove of information associated to the different contacts, objects & IDs contained within the platform. When dealing with troubleshooting requests, it’s also vital that whoever will be dealing with the request has access to as much information as possible about the specific user & account. That way they can easily scan related documents & records to build up a fuller picture of the situation.
How Can Ortoo & Salesforce Help?
If you are regular readers of our blog, you will know we are big believers in the power of automation. We are constantly looking for ways to accelerate Salesforce user’s day to day tasks and this is especially true of time sensitive areas – like customer troubleshooting. Firstly, you will want to immediately route troubleshooting problems into the correct object within Salesforce – so that individual requests can enter your arranged business process for dealing with troubleshooting. This solution is a bit like email to case but for troubleshooting. It’s equally important to decide what kind of Salesforce object should be used to house troubleshooting requests, the main two options are a typical Salesforce object or a custom one. The key differences really are the number of available fields & the higher degree of flexibility offered by using custom objects.
Fields within standard Salesforce object:
Identity – a 15 character field, that is generated automatically for every single record. Each records ID is contained within its URL
System – Read-only fields containing relevant information from the system, such as when the record was last modified or when it was initially created
Name – Each record will need a name for identification purposes. You will typically create your own name each time you create a record
As you can see the level of detail which comes with standard objects in Salesforce is pretty bare. If you were using standard objects to store individual troubleshooting requests/emails then you wouldn’t be able to include much information relating to the users request or issue. That’s why most organisations in this situation would use custom objects & custom fields to create a bespoke framework which will house all their incoming troubleshooting requests. Custom fields which could be highly useful could be:
- Email Address
- Account Number
- Auto-number to be used for ticketing purposes
- Various lookup relationships
Getting the right object template in place is key and makes life much easier for whoever will be dealing with the troubleshooting during the later stages of the process. One of the few issues however that hampers speed to act – is that Salesforce ‘out of the box’ can’t automatically create custom objects from incoming emails. Email to case works fine for standard case objects but in this use case of needing a high degree of flexibility & maximizing speed, we would recommend employing a third party-application.
The AppExchange contains several tools which allow you to automatically create new cases from incoming emails & requests. However, with Ortoo you can create custom objects with ease and send information contained within new customer requests to any record. This gives you a much higher degree of tractability & means troubleshooting emails get to the right support agent quicker and contain a better overall level of information.